A blog is a website that has write-ups on various topics using text and images. It is the conventional way in which you can communicate with people. The popularity of video content has given rise to vlogs or video blogs. It is a blog that has a video where, instead of text, a video presents the content the creator wants to communicate.
Vlogs are gaining popularity, and it is a good idea to use them to reach out to your target audience. If you are interested to create vlogs, then go through this guide. You will get all the information you need to get started with vlogging.
The basics of a vlog
A vlog is a video blog. It is like having your own video show where you have regular episodes with content. You can create videos using any tool and then upload the video on your website. But a better option is to use a video platform like YouTube to create your videos. You can then embed the video in your blog, website, or other platform.
The video you create can be in any form you want. It can be like a documentary. You can even make it like a small movie. It can be comical or feature a conversation between people. You can make it a monologue or a discussion. You can use text, photos, stock images, infographics, and animation to make the video interesting.
Here are some statistics that will help you understand why you should consider vlogging:
- Videos have an audience reach of 92%.
- Nearly 82% of internet traffic came from video content.
- 59% of professionals surveyed said they preferred watching videos rather than reading text.
- Users spend 88% more time on a website that has video.
- You can expect a 157% increase in organic traffic by using video.
- The top video bloggers earn up to 22 million dollars annually.
Getting started with vlogging
1) Identify your niche
What are you going to make video blogs about? Decide the subject on which you will make videos. It is ideal to choose a niche for making videos. You are not the only one making video blogs. There are many like you. So, try to specialize by choosing a niche area to make video blogs. It could be cooking that is your area of interest. Instead of making all cooking videos, choose a specialty like vegan cooking.
2) Know your target audience
Once you identify your niche, you must identify your target audience. The target audience is the people who will watch your video. Try to understand the demographics of your audience. It will help you create content accordingly. If the audience is more of young people, then your approach must be different. Knowing your target audience is crucial to help you plan your video.
3) Plan the videos
Make a plan for the videos you will create. The plan should cover the following:
- The type of video you want to make – documentary, discussion, presentation, demonstration, etc.
- Whether it is only you who will make the video or will it have others.
- The duration of the video and whether you will make it a series.
- The frequency at which you will create videos and post them.
- What platform will you use – YouTube, TikTok, or any other format?
- The resources you need (camera, mike, lighting) and the budget.
- Results you expect from the videos.
- Whether you are promoting a product/service through the video. Also, decide if you plan any collaboration with brands to promote products.
4) Create a quality video
Get all the resources needed to create a quality video. You can even shoot using your mobile phone and create quality videos. While recording, choose the right background or you can use a green screen to add a virtual background. Ensure the audio is clearly audible. You must ensure there are no disturbances when you record the video.
5) Edit the video
Once you create the video, you must edit it. You can find many editing tools for free online. Use the tools to enhance picture quality. You can also add text and captions to the video. Make use of images to make the video look attractive. You can use your own photos or download royalty-free stock images and use them. Consider adding infographics to put across your point well.
6) Post the vlog
Once the video is ready, post it on the platform. Ensure you promote the video, so it becomes viral. Get feedback from users about the video and use the feedback for improvement. Make sure you engage with people commenting on your video.
Get started with vlogging and see where it takes you!